YoYoGames is offering GameMaker Studio Standard free!
No word on how long this deal will last, so I would highly urge all of you to take advantage of it, even if you aren’t developing a game in GameMaker right now. You never know when it will be useful to have!
Why get GameMaker?
GameMaker is one of my favorite game design and development tools. It allows you to quickly and easily make 2d game prototypes using a drag and drop interface. You don’t need to code at all, but once you get more advanced you can use GameMakerScript to make your development even faster, easier and do more powerful things.
Best of all, you can make one GameMaker Studio project and release on up to 9 platforms!
The basic version allows for very simple games, limiting the number of objects and resources you can have. The Standard edition gets rid of that limit, allow you to make any kind of game you want. You can then release on desktops (Windows and Mac) AND Windows 8 Store for free! For an extra fee, you can release the same project on mobile platforms as well.
How to redeem:
- Make sure you are using the “Beta Update Channel”. To change this, right-click on the icon in the system tray.
- Install the latest version of GameMaker.
- On the welcome screen, you should see a big “Upgrade to Standard for Free” banner. Click it.
- Enter your email address, and then confirm it on the second screen.
- Check your email, and load you’re brand new Standard edition key!
Normally this costs $50, so getting GameMaker Studio Standard free of charge is significant.
Now you have no excuse not to download GameMaker and mess around with it. If you need any additional resources, such as art or sound files, you can find links to some free resources on my blog.
Go make some cool games! After you do, be sure to let me know about them. I’d love to check them out!